375ml dashi stock
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 teaspoon mirin
¼ teaspoon salt flakes
2 teaspoons grapeseed oil
4 shiitake mushrooms, stalks removed, thinly sliced
100g salmon, pin boned, skin off, 1cm dice
Toasted nori and toasted wasabi sesame seeds
1. Blend dashi stock, soy, mirin, salt flakes and eggs in a tall jug using a stick blender. Ensure the eggs are well incorporated. Strain through a fine mesh sieve and skim off excess froth and bubbles.
2. Heat grapeseed oil in a frying pan on medium high heat, Induction setting 7. Sauté the mushrooms until soft, drain on absorbent paper.
3. Pre-heat Steam Combination Oven on Conventional at 110°C.
4. Evenly distribute mushrooms and salmon into 6 x 100ml ramekins and pour dashi mixture into ramekins.
5. Place into a perforated steam tray and place in oven on shelf position 1.
6. Select Combination Mode:
Select Conventional at 110ºC + 15 minutes + 60% moisture.
Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 10 minutes before serving.
1. Garnish with toasted nori and sesame seeds.
HINTS AND TIPS
- Chawanmushi is a Japanese savoury egg custard dish, served as a warm appetiser.
- Dashi stock is a broth that is the foundation of many Japanese recipes, it can be made fresh from dried kelp (konbu) and katsuobushi (bonito flakes) or can be purchased in instant form (dried powder form or liquid concentrate) from Japanese grocery stores.
- Chawanmushi can be cooked in a Steam oven; cover ramekins with foil and Steam at 90°C for 15 minutes, or until set.