600g-800g beef eye fillet
2 tablespoons oyster sauce
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons fish sauce
Salt and white pepper to season
1½ teaspoon caster sugar
1 tablespoon hot water
¼ teaspoon sea salt
60ml rice vinegar
70g shallots (small purple colour)
1 cup watercress or baby spinach leaves
1 cup mixed herbs; coriander, Thai basil, mint leaves
2 Lebanese cucumbers, finely sliced lengthwise
on the diagonal
1 red capsicum, finely sliced
1 red long chilli, finely chopped
1 clove garlic crushed
1 tablespoon coriander root, finely chopped
1 tablespoon fish sauce
1 tablespoon soy sauce
80ml lime juice
1½ tablespoons grated palm sugar
2 tablespoon raw long grain rice
Fresh sliced chilli
- Combine oyster, soy and fish sauces in bowl and season with salt and pepper.
- Rub the marinade over the beef and set aside at room temperature.
- Place beef onto a multi-purpose tray lined with baking paper. Insert Food probe into centre of meat.
- Select Combi Mode:
Stage 1: Conventional at 200°C + Core temperature 40°C + 60% moisture
Stage 2: Conventional at 120°C + Core temperature 55°C + 35% moisture
- Remove beef from the oven, cover with foil and rest for 15-20 minutes.
- Dissolve the sugar and salt in the hot water.
- Add vinegar and finely sliced shallots and leave to pickle until ready to serve.
- Mix all ingredients together and season to taste.
- Place the rice into a small frying pan and cook on medium-high heat, induction setting 7, for 5 minutes, or until lightly golden.
- Remove the rice and crush lightly in a pestle and mortar.
- Toss the salad leaves, cucumber and capsicum, strained shallots and roasted rice.
- Add a little dressing and arrange onto serving dishes.
- Slice the beef thinly and arrange on top of salad.
- Drizzle lightly with dressing and garnish with fried shallots.
Hints and tips
- Add cooked rice noodles to salad for a more substantial option.
- The cooking time is for medium rare beef. Adjust the timing to suit your preferred level of doneness.