1 chicken, portioned into 2 breasts and 2 Maryland, skin on
5 cm piece ginger (25 g), grated
5 cm piece galangal (25 g), grated
1 stem lemongrass, inner white only, thinly sliced
2 makrut lime leaves
3 garlic cloves
Pinch of salt flakes
8 coriander roots and stems, cleaned and roughly chopped
Pinch of salt flakes
2 tbsp brown sugar
100 ml soy sauce
1 tbsp fish sauce
1 tbsp lemon juice
50 g (¼ cup) jasmine rice
1-2 tsp dried chilli flakes
20g grated fresh turmeric
1 garlic clove
1 golden shallot, finely diced
Pinch salt flakes
1 tbsp rice wine vinegar
1-2 tbsp caster sugar
80 ml (⅓ cup) fish sauce
1 tbsp lime juice
Green papaya salad
1 green papaya, peeled and cut or shredded into fine julienne
1 punnet cherry tomatoes, halved
¼ cup coriander leaves
½ cup finely sliced snake beans or green beans
1. In a mortar and pestle, grind the ginger, galangal, lemongrass, lime leaves, garlic, coriander and salt to a paste.
2. Add brown sugar, soy sauce, fish sauce, lemon juice and stir to combine.
3. Place the chicken in a suitable sized container and coat with the marinade. Cover and leave to marinate overnight. Alternatively place chicken pieces into a vacuum sealing bag with the marinade. Place into the Vacuum Sealing Drawer and vacuum on setting 3 and seal on setting 3. Leave to marinate for 2-3 hours.
1. On medium heat, Induction Setting 6, dry fry the chilli flakes in a frying pan until toasted fragrant, then leave to cool.
2. In a mortar and pestle grind together the chilli flakes, turmeric, garlic, shallots and salt to a paste.
3. Add remaining ingredients, stir to combine. Stir to combine. Taste and adjust with fish sauce, lime juice and sugar if required.
1. On medium heat, Induction Setting 6, toast rice in a dry frying pan until very lightly browned, leave to cool in the pan. When cool grind to a coarse powder in a mortar and pestle.
1. Position the grease filter at the rear of the Steam Combination Oven and Select Combination Mode.
Stage 1: Select Full Grill 3 + 10 minutes + 0% moisture
Stage 2: Select Full Grill 3 + 10 minutes + 0% moisture
Stage 3: Select Fan Plus at 180°C + 25 minutes + 80% moisture
2. Place grilling and roasting insert over a multi-purpose tray then place into the oven on shelf position 2 for the first stage. This stage is to pre-heat both the grill and roasting rack.
3. At the commencement of the second stage, add the chicken to the pre-heated tray. Close the door and let the program continue for stage 2 and stage 3.
4. Rest the chicken for 5-10 minutes before serving.
1. Toss all the ingredients with half the dressing and 1 tablespoon of the toasted and ground rice.
2. Serve alongside the chicken with extra dressing if required.
HINTS AND TIPS
- Ensure skin is kept on chicken for maximum caramelisation and browning.
- Leftover toasted rice can be used in Asian style salads.